Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 1, 2011 w/ FIVE pictures!

It's November 1st. What the what?! This is going to be a very jumbled email because I am sleepy.

It was a pretty good week in terms of fun, but may not have been the most productive week in terms of missionary work. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Halloween. On Friday it was our ward Halloween trunk or treat. It's against the rules to dress up, but Madsen and I got permission to be pioneers...and we may or may not have decided to be dead pioneers. The next night, a family in our ward threw a huge Halloween party that we took both of our investigators to and, since I never repeat a costume, I was a peasant girl. The party was legit and our investigators loved it. We took lots of pictures, but I'll spare you and just share a couple. Also we got to carve pumpkins with one of our favorite families. We made ours be throwing up. It was so fun and I am glad I got to carve one so it felt more like Halloween!

Our investigator, Jess, has her baptismal date coming up so soon, we are excited (11.11.11)! She is right on track and doing well so we are just on the countdown.

On Friday, we did sister exchanges for the day and I went into a Spanish area. I had fun trying to talk to people in Spanish. I love Spanish and hope one day I can be fluent. I also enjoy going in other peoples areas to get a feel for how they do missionary work. We have another exchange coming up this week, but I'll be staying in my area. Madsen is not happy about it. Ha she hates when she has to leave the area/me :)

In our ward, we have a German war veteran, Brother S, who spent four years in a Russian prison camp. He was raised as one of Hilter's Youth and has the most fascinating stories ever! We spent almost two hours at his house just hearing his insane stories. He wore the same outfit and didn't shower for an entire year. He was Mormon and while in the camp the only drinks were coffee and typhoid fever water. He promised God that he would keep the Word of Wisdom if God would allow him to survive, and he drank the typhoid fever water every day and was totally fine! Another story was, the prisoners would always steal to survive and one of his buddies got caught stealing. For punishment, the guard was going to put him into a hole and pour water over his head so he would freeze to death over night (it was below freezing), but instead the friend beat up the guard, took his clothes and poured water over the guard. The next morning the guard was found dead in the hole and the friend escaped back to Germany. Brother S. just laughs as he tells the stories, but he is no joke. He is in four books, has been on TV and apparently you can Google him! It was an educational night to say the least.

Sunday we started our 40-day fast with our ward. Each family that signs up for dinner, fasts for a missionary opportunity that day and then we break their fast when we come over. We are hoping it really gets people focused on missionary work and thinking about the different ways they can serve and share the gospel. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Monday was good. We have a great district that is really good at pumping us up to do better and work harder. We stayed crazy busy right up till 6:30 when we were forced to go in because it was Halloween. We were sad we didn't get to stay out and hang with members but whatev.

This morning we went to the temple (Newport Beach) in the white hummer limo again. It's legit. While in the Celestial Room, I decided to start reading D&C (Doctrine and Covenants) since I have never read it cover to cover, so I open it up and read the heading....it was written November 1st in the 1800s. I thought it was a funny coincidence!

Anyway, I am super tired. Sorry this was a lame update. I promise the Church is true and that God loves you!
pce
-Sister Christensen


OK five pictures:

Ward trunk or treat with one of our favs, the Reynolds



Pumpkin carving with the Everts', we love them!



Halloween party with Jess and Aaron. It was a multi-million dollar house and was legit.



They built a haunted house in the garage, it was terrifying. My throat hurt I was screaming so loud.



My district after the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment